On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Al Hopper wrote:

> > Some people on this list think that the RAID arrays are more likely
> > to corrupt your data than JBOD (both with ZFS on top, for example, a
> > ZFS mirror of 2 raid arrays or a JBOD mirror or raidz).  There is no
>
> Can you present a cut/paste where that assertion was made?

I don't want to put words in Chad's mouth, but I think he might be
misunderstanding representations that people make here about ZFS vs
HW RAID.  I don't think that people have asserted that "RAID arrays
are more likely to corrupt data than a JBOD"; what I think people ARE
asserting is that corruption is more likely to go undetected in a HW
RAID than in a JBOD with ZFS.  (A subtle, but important, difference.)

The reason for this is understandable: if you write some data to a
HW RAID device, you assume that unless otherwise notified, your data
is safe.  The HW RAID, but its very nature, is a black box that we
assume is OK.  With ZFS+JBOD, ZFS' built in end-to-end error checking
will catch any silent errors created in the JBOD, when they happen,
and can correct them (or at least notify you) right away.

--
Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638