Robert Milkowski wrote:
Hello Kyle,

KM> Remember though that it's been mathematically figured that the KM> disadvantages to RaidZ start to show up after 9 or 10 drives. (That's
Well, nothing like this was proved and definitely not mathematically.

It's just a common sense advise - for many users keeping raidz groups
below 9 disks should give good enough performance. However if someone
creates raidz group of 48 disks he/she probable expects also
performance and in general raid-z wouldn't offer one.

It's very possible I misstated something. :)

I thought I had read though, something like over 9 or so disks would put mean that each FS block would be written to less than a single disk block on each disk?

Or maybe it was that waiting to read from all drives for files less than a FS block would suffer?

Ahhh... I can't remember what the effect were thought to be. I thought there was some theoretical math involved though.

I do remember people advising against it though. Not just on a performance basis, but also on a increased risk of failure basis. I think it was just seen as a good balancing point.

   -Kyle