Thanks for the feedback!

This does sound like what we're hitting. From our testing, you are absolutely
correct--separating out the parts is a major help. The big problem we still
see, though, is doing the clones/recoveries. The DBA group clones the
production environment for Education. Since both of these instances live on the
same server and ZPool/filesystem, this kills the throughput. When doing cloning
or backups to a different area, whether UFS or ZFS, we don't have the issues.

I'll know for sure later today or tomorrow, but it sounds like they are
seriously considering the ASM route. Since we will be going to RAC later this
year, this move makes the most sense. We'll just have to hope that the DBA
group gets a better understanding of LUN's and our SAN, as they'll be taking
over part of the disk (LUN) management. :-/ We were hoping we could get some
interrim relief on the ZFS front through tuning or something, but if what
you're saying is correct (and it sounds like it is), we may be out of luck.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Rainer