> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, Frank Cusack wrote:
>
> > But x4100/x4200 only accept expensive 2.5" SAS
> drives, which have
> > small capacities.  [...]
>
> ... and only 2 or 4 drives each.  Hence my blog entry
> a while back,
> wishing for a Sun-badged 1U SAS JBOD with room for 8
> drives.  I'm
> amazed that Sun hasn't got a product to fill this
> obvious (to me
> at least) hole in their storage catalogue.
>
> --
> Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member
>
> President,
> Rite Online Inc.
>
> Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
> ss

This is exactly what I am looking for. I apparently was not clear in my
original post. I am looking for a 6-8 drive external solution to tie into Sun
servers. The existing Sun solutions at this range are very expensive. For
instance, the 3511 is ~$37000 for 12x500gb drives.

I can buy good quality Seagate drives for $200 each. That comes to the grand
total of $2400. Somehow I doubt the enclosure/drive controllers are worth
~$34,000. It's an insane markup.

That's why I was asking for an external JBOD solution. The Sun servers I've
looked at are all priced excellently, and I'd love to use them - but the
storage solutions are a bit crazy. Not to mention, I don't want to get tied
into FC, seeing as 10gE is around the corner. I'd rather use some kind of
external interface that's reasonable.

On that note, I've recently read it might be the case that the 1u sun servers
do not have hot-swappable disk drives... is this really true? That makes this
whole plan silly, I can just go out and buy a Supermicro machine and save money
all around, and have the 6-8 drives in the same box as the server.

Thanks,
David