On January 22, 2007 12:03:51 PM -0800 "David J. Orman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I know it seems ridiculous to HAVE to buy a 3rd party
card, but come
on it is only $50 or so.  Assuming you don't need
both pci slots for
other uses.

I do. Two would have gone to external access for a JBOD (if that ever
gets sorted out, haha) - most external adapters seem to support 4 disks.

You can't actually use those adapters in the x2100/x2200 or even the
x4100/x4200.  The slots are "MD2" low profile slots and the 4 port adapters
require a full height slot.  Even the x4600 only has MD2 slots.  So you can
only use 2 port adapters.  I think there are esata cards that use the
infiniband (SAS style) connector, which will fit in an MD2 slot and still
access 4 drives, but I'm not aware of any that Solaris supports.

Unfortunately, Solaris does not support SATA port multipliers (yet) so
I think you're pretty limited in how many esata drives you can connect.

External SAS is pretty much a non-starter on Solaris (today) so I think
you're left with iscsi or FC if you need more than just a few drives and
you want to use Sun servers instead of building your own.

-frank