On January 22, 2007 12:45:29 PM -0800 "David J. Orman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
External SAS is pretty much a non-starter on Solaris
(today) so I think
you're left with iscsi or FC if you need more than
just a few drives and
you want to use Sun servers instead of building your
own.

I should add: or scsi of course.

iSCSI is interesting to me, are there any JBOD iSCSI external arrays that
would allow me to use SAS/SATA drives?

There's a few.  I'm thinking about a promise m500i.  They make smaller
ones also.  Not 100% sure though; I might just stick with FC.

I'd actually prefer this to eSATA,
as network cable is even more easily dealt with. Toss in one of the
dual/quad gigabit cards and run iSCSI to a JBOD filled with SATA/SAS
drives == winning solution for me. 4gbit via network avoiding all of the
expense of FC is nothing to sniffle at.

The promise only has 2 gbit ports, and I'm not sure if they can load
balance.  So if you want multi-gigabit performance you should look to
other enclosures.

Would this still be workable with ZFS?

My understanding is yes, but I haven't done this personally yet.

Know of any products out there

promise, dnf, nexsan are the ones I know of.  Oh I think Adaptec might
have one also.

-frank