Frank Cusack wrote:
> On January 24, 2007 9:40:41 AM -0800 Richard Elling
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Peter Eriksson wrote:
>>> Yes please. Now give me a fairly cheap (but still quality) FC-attached
>>> JBOD  utilizing SATA/SAS disks and I'll be really happy! :-)
>>
>> ... with write cache and dual redundant controllers?  I think we call
>> that
>> the Sun StorageTek 3511.
>
> Ah but the 3511 JBOD is not supported for direct attach to a host, nor
> is it
> supported for attachment to a SAN.  You have to have a 3510 or 3511 with
> RAID controller to use the 3511 JBOD.  The RAID controller is pretty pricey
> on these guys.  $5k each IIRC.

I started looking into the 3511 for a ZFS system and just about
immediately stopped considering it for this reason.  If it is not
supported in JBOD, then I might as well go get a third party JBOD at the
same level of support.

> You can get a 4Gb FC->SATA RAID with 12*750gb drives for about $10k
> from third parties.  I doubt we'll ever see that from Sun if for no
> other reason just due to the drive markups.  (Which might be justified
> based on drive qualification; I'm not making any comment as to whether
> the markup is warranted or not, just that it exists and is obscene.)

Yep.  I went with a third party FC/SATA unit which has been flawless as
a direct attach for my ZFS JBOD system.  Paid about $0.70/GB.  And I
still have enough money left over this year to upgrade my network core.
 If I would have gone with Sun, I wouldn't be able to push as many bits
across my network.

I just don't know how people can afford Sun storage, or even if they
can, what drives them to pay such premiums.

Sun is missing out on lots of lower end storage, but perhaps that is by
design.  I am a small shop by many standards, but I would have spent
tens of thousands over the last few years with Sun if they had
reasonably priced storage.  <shrug>  I just need a place to put my bits.
 Doesn't need to be the fastest, bleeding edge stuff.  Just a bucket
that performs reasonably, and preferably one that I can use with ZFS.

-Shannon