Torrey McMahon wrote:
> Dana H. Myers wrote:
>> Ed Gould wrote:

>>> Actually, Jim was referring to everything but the trunk.  He didn't
>>> specify where from the HBA to the drive the error actually occurs.  I
>>> don't think it really matters.  I saw him give a talk a few years ago at
>>> the Usenix FAST conference; that's where I got this information.
>>>

>> So this leaves me wondering how often the controller/drive subsystem
>> reads data from the wrong sector of the drive without notice; is it
>> symmetrical with respect to writing, and thus about once a drive/year,
>> or are there factors which change this?
>>

> It's not symmetrical. Often times its a fw bug. Others a spurious event
> causes one block to be read/written instead of an other one. (Alpha
> particles anyone?)

I would tend to expect these spurious events to impact read and write
equally; more specifically, the chance of any one read or write being
mis-addressed is about the same.  Since, AFAIK, there are many more reads
from a disk typically than writes, this would seem to suggest that there
would be more mis-addressed reads in a drive/year than mis-addressed
writes.  Is this the reason for the asymmetry?

(I'm sure waving my hands here)

Dana