Tom Buskey wrote:
As a followup, the system I'm trying to use this on is a dual PII 400 with
512MB.  Real low budget.

2 500 GB drives with 2 120 GB in a RAIDZ.  The idea is that I can get 2 more
500 GB drives later to get full capacity.  I tested going from a 20GB to a
120GB and that worked well.

I'm finding the throughput just isn't there.  < 2MB/s compared to 20MB/s on a
similar Linux system.

Anyone else going this low budget?

Hmm... that's lower than I would have expected.  Something is
likely wrong.  These machines do have very limited memory
bandwidth, so the checksumming will cost more here than on faster
CPUs.

How fast can you DD from the raw device to /dev/null?

- Bart

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://blogs.sun.com/barts