On 2/24/07, Tor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have read the FAQ, and it states that encrypted data can't be compressed. But
is there any point in using compression on my media file server, that will
store ripped DVD's (which are compressed in their default state), our digital
photos (JPEG - also compressed) and HD files (mostly .ts (transport stream) -
also a form of compressionI). In other words can ZFS compress compressed files?
Or should I just forget about having compression enabled?

I would not use ZFS compression on filesystems intended to store
already-compressed data such as images, mp3s, most video formats, etc.
That is akin to zipping a .zip file, and will only waste cpu and
memory, considering the compression in those formats will at least be
on par with LZH if not better.

--
Eric Enright