On 13-Apr-07, at 11:39 AM, Rich Teer wrote:

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, Toby Thain wrote:

IMHO, this is a faulty conclusion.

And I disagree.  So we'll have to agree to disagree.

The interesting use case of "contributing", and I think the one that spurred the creation of the GPL, is "I use this but I need to customise it a bit". In this situation it's quite reasonable that you would abide by the conditions
I've chosen for the stuff you're using.

If I want to customise some of your code, I agree that it's reasonable for
me to abide by whatever license you chose.

OK.

But if I want to add something
completely new (say, a new module for emacs), the code for which lives in new and separate files from your code, why should you be able to dictate to
me what license I use?

Your answer will no doubt be "no one is forcing you to add that module to
my program", and you'd be correct.  But then we all potentially suffer
because we can't use my new functionality.

I agree with you and Joerg that the GPL definition "derived work" can be ambiguous. We won't resolve that in this thread. :)

All the above is, of course, hypothetical, becuase there's no way I'd put myself in that situation in the first place. I think it's wrong for me
to dictate license terms to other people.

We disagree that the GPL does that, in general. This basically applies to GPL'd "platforms" such as Linux, in any case. Standalone products are much less problematic.

When I publish bodies of work,
I want people who change my code to make their changes publically available, so that the community as a whole can be enriched. But if someone else wants
to add functionality (in the form of new files),

Except it doesn't say "files". Derivation is conceptual. Modules, libraries are where the greyness comes in, agreed.

I object to the notion that
I can dictate to them the terms under which they license their code.

In short: if you modify MY code, you must abide by my choice of license. If you contribute new files to my program, they YOU get to dictate the license
(provided, of course, that your license allows combination with mine).

'Viral' is just not the right term. Rather than spreading it (as I say,

What, prey tell, would be your term for something that spreads to without
choice?

associated with some of the ugliest and most dishonest campaigns), it seems you should just admit that you personally don't happen to like this clause of

I personally don't like this clause of the GPL. But the fact that it has been "associated with some of the ugliest and most dishonest campaigns"
doesn't make it (the word viral) an inaccurate description.

We'll disagree.

the GPL (which is designed to protect users from familiar catastrophes). But
many do, or they wouldn't deliberately choose this license.

No, the GPL was written to further the FSF's cause.

I think that's a mischaracterisation. It was designed to protect users. From: - a program in which they find a bug that the vendor won't/can't fix (maybe the vendor went out of business) - vendors blackmailing customers by lock-in (yes, that's their right; but the FSF wanted to operate in a framework that doesn't include this)
- a program they own but can't run anymore (can't port, e.g.)
and so on.

Choosing a GPL product means you're choosing, as a user, to avoid such problems in future.

Such problems were epidemic and showed every sign of getting worse at the time RMS decided to do something about it. I can't imagine how diseased the software industry would be today, if he had not.

And I submit that many
of the people who chose the GPL for their code don't really know why they're doing so, apart from the fact that it's a well-known open source license, and
"everyone else does it".

Can't speak for others, but I don't think it's true of myself. I wouldn't choose any weaker license.

--Toby

--
Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

CEO,
My Online Home Inventory

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich