On 18-Apr-07, at 5:22 PM, J.P. King wrote:

Can we discuss this with a few objectives ?  Like define "backup" and
then describe mechanisms that may achieve one?  Or a really big
question that I guess I have to ask, do we even care anymore?

</lurk>
Personally I think you would benefit from some slightly different terms. I would differentiate between backups and archives. Here I am trying to move away from tape based backups. We do backups to a disk based system. There is no technical reason why this couldn't be done with zfs send | zfs receive.

Then there are archives.

Your distinction is one I've always found helpful.

I am exceptionally fortunate that my group don't really have to deal with these. If I did then, despite the significant drop in price for hard drive based storage, I'd still go for a tape based system. I don't know of anyway to do this usefully under zfs.

Except by simply using ZFS itself: ZFS on redundant hard drives has much better archival properties than previous generations of filesystem, so it may be worth reconsidering.

--Toby

I don't believe that there are any good/useful solutions which are free that will store both the data and all the potential meta-data in the filesystem in a recoverable way. I've never been impressed enough with any of the commercial solutions, and certainly not enough to give someone money for them.

<lurk>

Julian
--
Julian King
Computer Officer, University of Cambridge, Unix Support