Hello Nicolas,

NW> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 03:47:55PM -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>> Maybe with a definition of what a "backup" is and then some way to
>> achieve it. As far as I know the only real backup is one that can be
>> tossed into a vault and locked away for seven years.  Or any arbitrary
>> amount of time within in reason. Like a decade or a century.   But
>> perhaps a backup today will have as much meaning as papertape over
>> time.
>>
>> Can we discuss this with a few objectives ?  Like define "backup" and
>> then describe mechanisms that may achieve one?  Or a really big
>> question that I guess I have to ask, do we even care anymore?

NW> As far as ZFS is concerned any discussion of how you'll read today's
NW> media a decade into the future is completely OT :)

NW> "zfs send" as backup is probably not generally acceptable: you can't
NW> expect to extract a single file out of it (at least not out of an
NW> incremental zfs send), but that's certainly done routinely with ufsdump,
NW> tar, cpio, ...

Depends where you 'zfs send' those data and what you do on the other
side. If you just zfs send <---remote host---> zfs recv
and then also make snapshots you have actually very good backup in
many aspects much better than using tapes.
The only real drawback is management (custom zfs send|recv scripts
compared to Legato, Tivolli, ...).

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]