Hi,

I have a test server that I use for testing my different jumpstart
installations. This system is continuously installed and reinstalled with
different system builds.
For some builds I have a finish script that creates a zpool using the utility
found in the Solaris 10 update 3 miniroot.

I have found an issue where the zpool command fails to create a new zpool if
the system previously had a UFS filesystem on the same slice.

The command and error is:

zpool create -f -R /a -m /srv srv c1t0d0s6
cannot create 'srv': one or more vdevs refer to the same device

The steps to reproduce are:

1. build a Solaris 10 Update 3 system via jumpstart with the following
partitioning and only UFS filesystems:

partitioning explicit
filesys rootdisk.s0 6144 / logging
filesys rootdisk.s1 1024 swap
filesys rootdisk.s3 4096 /var logging,nosuid
filesys rootdisk.s6 free /srv logging
filesys rootdisk.s7 50 unnamed

2. Then rebuild the same system via jumpstart with the following partitioning
with slice 6 left unnamed so that a finish script may create a zpool with the
command 'zpool create -f -R /a -m /srv srv cntndns6':

partitioning explicit
filesys rootdisk.s0 6144 / logging
filesys rootdisk.s1 1024 swap
filesys rootdisk.s3 4096 /var logging,nosuid
filesys rootdisk.s6 free unnamed
filesys rootdisk.s7 50 unnamed

Has anyone hit this issue and is this a known bug with a workaround?

regards

matthew