> Personally I would go with ZFS entirely in most cases.

That's the rule of thumb :)  If you have a fast enough CPU and enough RAM, do
everything with ZFS.  This sounds koolaid-induced, but you'll need nothing else
because ZFS does it all.

My second personal rule of thumb concerns RAIDZ performance.  Benchmarks that
were posted here in the past showed that RAIDZ worked best with no more than 4
or 5 disks per array.  After that, certain types of performance dropped off
pretty hard.  So if top performance matters and you can handle doing 4-5 disk
arrays, that is a smart path to take.