I think nForce 430 would be using AHCI driver if you set you BIOS for
it, in current Nevada builds anyway, and I think that uses SATA
framework.

On 6/1/07, J. David Beutel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Eric Schrock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Friday, June 01, 2007 12:50:50:

> Only devices that use the SATA framework (Marvell, Silicon Image,
> and others - I don't remember the full list) use the SCSI emulation
> required to make this work.
>

>> * Do I need any special SATA configuration to get the SCSI emulation?
>>

> No, but your SATA HBA must be one of those supported by the SATA
> framework.  Otherwise it will operate in PATA legacy mode and the
> information will not be available.

Thanks.  I don't know anything about SATA yet, so this helps.  From a
little research, it looks like the Solaris SATA framework is doing the
SCSI emulation for the OS, and it requires a driver designed for that
framework to talk to the SATA controller chip.

I have an Asus M2NPV-VM, which uses the nVIDIA nForce 430 for SATA
3Gb/s.  Unfortunately, this page suggests that it runs in legacy mode:
http://blogs.sun.com/chrisg/entry/home_server_hardware_configuration#comment-1162973844000

Where can I find the full list of supported controllers for Solaris SATA
HBA?  If I buy SATA drives, I might buy another controller too (altho
not if I lose ZFS boot).

Cheers,
11011011