On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Robert Smicinski wrote:

> Apple's strength is the desktop, Sun's is the datacenter.

Agreed, to a large extent.

> There's no need to have ZFS on the desktop, just as there's no need
> to have HFS+ in the datacenter.

I strongly disagree with the first clause of that sentence.  There's
no reason why one wouldn't want to have mirrored file systems on a
workstation, or make use of snapshots and clones.  All three of those
features are supplied rather handily by ZFS.

ZFS isn't just about easily creating massive pools of data, although
admitedly that is the first feature most people mention.

> There is a need to improve ZFS in the datacenter, however, and I wish
> Sun had invested their time in getting dynamic LUN expansion going
> instead of working on a port to OS/X.

I have no insider knowledge, but I don't think Sun invested much time
in this.  I believe Apple's engineers did most of the work.

--
Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

CEO,
My Online Home Inventory

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich