Hi Lin,

A few moments after replying to your post, I had an idea. I had tweaked with
almost every part of the script but I couldn't figure out what the difference
was between the script and the manual execution.

The difference is (as I found later) that when I created the ZFS root fs by
hand, I was always zealous enough to "zpool export" my pool before rebooting.
And this is the cause for the panic I am getting! I tried booting to the UFS
root fs and did a zpool import, followed by another reboot, and it worked...

Now that I know *what*, could you perhaps explain to my *why*? I understood
zpool import and export operations much as mount and unmount, like maybe some
checks on the integrity of the pool and updates to some structure on the OS to
maintain the imported/exported state of that pool. But now I suspect this state
information is in fact maintained in the pool itself. Does this make sense?

In that case, may I suggest that you add a note to the manual
(http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/boot/zfsboot-manual/) stating that
the pool should not be exported prior to booting off it?

Thanks for your help!

-- Doug