On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 12:23:18PM -0400, Torrey McMahon wrote:
> James C. McPherson wrote:

> >>James, I Agree from ZFS point of view. However, from the EMC or the
> >>customer point of view they want to do the replication at the EMC level
> >>and not from ZFS. By replicating at the ZFS level they will loose some
> >>storage and its doubling the replication. Its just customer use to
> >>working with Veritas and UFS and they don't want to change their
> >>habbits.
> >>I just have to convince the customer to use ZFS replication.
> >
> >that's a great shame because if they actually want
> >to make use of the features of ZFS such as replication,
> >then they need to be serious about configuring their
> >storage to play in the ZFS world.... and that means
> >replication that ZFS knows about.
>
> Also, how does replication at the ZFS level use more storage - I'm
> assuming raw block - then at the array level?

SAN storage generally doesn't work that way.  They use some magical
redundancy scheme, which may be RAID-5 or WAFL, from which the Storage
Administrator carves out virtual disks.  These are best viewed as an
array of blocks.  All disk administration, such as replacing failed
disks, takes place on the storage device without affecting the virtual
disks.  There's no need for disk administration or additional
redundancy on the client side.  If more space is needed on the client,
the Storage Administrator simply expands the virtual disk by extending
its blocks.  ZFS needs to play nicely in this environment because
that's what's available in large organizations that have centralized
their storage.  Asking for raw disks doesn't work.