On Jul 7, 2007, at 06:14, Orvar Korvar wrote:

When I copy that file from ZFS to /dev/null I get this output:
real    0m0.025s
user    0m0.002s
sys     0m0.007s
which can't be correct. Is it wrong of me to use "time cp fil fil2" when measuring disk performance?

well you're reading and writing to the same disk so that's going to affect performance, particularly as you're seeking to different areas of the disk both for the files and for the uberblock updates .. in the above case it looks like the file is already cached (buffer cache being what is probably consuming most of your memory here) - so you're just looking at a memory to memory transfer here .. if you want to see a simple write performance test many people use dd like so:

# timex dd if=/dev/zero of=file bs=128k count=8192

which will give you a measure of an efficient 1GB file write of zeros .. or use a better opensource tool like iozone to get a better fix on single thread vs multi-thread, read/write mix, and block size differences for your given filesystem and storage layout

jonathan