David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> Kent Watsen wrote:
>
>>> #define MTTR_HOURS_NO_SPARE 16
>>>
>>> I think this is optimistic :-)
>>>

>> Not really for me as the array is in my basement - so I assume that I'll
>> swap in a drive when I get home from work  ;)
>>

> Yes, it's interesting how the parameters for home setups differ from
> "professional" (not meaning to denigrate the professionalism of
> anybodies home network of course).  We can run to the store and buy
> something rather quicker than lots of professional outfits seem to be
> able to get spares in hand.
>
> But what if you're away on business that week?

Then you put it in a datacenter with remote monitoring. ZFS can't solve
for all problems or issues. You'll still have drives go bad or have
errors outside of their listed tolerance. (Bad fw anyone?) You'll still
have operations staff that press the wrong button. All the typical stuff
that is usually listed as the reason for data loss.