On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 14:26 -0700, Richard Elling wrote:
> AFAIK, nobody has characterized resilvering, though this is about the 4th
> time this week someone has brought the topic up.  Has anyone done work here
> that we don't know about?  If so, please speak up :-)

I haven't been conducting controlled experiments, but I have been moving
a large pool around recently via a series of zpool replace operations,
and so have been keeping an eye on a bunch of resilvering.

The one conclusion I have so far is that, for the pool I'm moving, the
time to complete a disk-replacement resilver seems to be largely
independent of the number of disks being resilvered (so far, I've done
batches of up to seven replacements) and in the same ballpark as a
scrub.

To be conservative, I'm moving only one disk per raidz group per
"pass".

                                                - Bill