> I'm more worried about the availability of my data in the even of a
> controller failure.  I plan on using 4-chan SATA controllers and
> creating multiple 4 disk RAIDZ vdevs.  I want to use a single pool, but
> it looks like I can't as controller failure = ZERO access, although the
> same can be said for any other non-redundant components.

ZFS vdevs are marked accordingly to identify them as drive, slice or
partition of a pool. ZFS can reconstruct the pool easily using these
after controller failure.

ZFS preferred mode of operation is using dumb disks, means leaving jobs
like redundancy and such to the file system. So unless you're using
hardware RAID, which makes the disk configuration pretty much dependent
on the controller, changing one won't make your data blow up.

(Not sure what actually happens if you change the controller at random
and let the system boot, whether it automagically scans all controllers
and disks if zpool.cache doesn't match the system configuration, or if
it blows up and requires manual intervention. There wasn't an occasion
yet to try out for me.)

-mg