> To put this in perspective, no system on the planet
> today handles all faults.
> I would even argue that building such a system is
> theoretically impossible.

no doubt about that ;)

> So the subset of faults which ZFS covers which is
> different than the subset
> that UFS covers and different than what SVM covers.
>  For example, we *know*
> hat ZFS has allowed people to detect and recover from
> faulty SAN switches,
> borken RAID arrays, and accidental deletions which
> UFS could have never even
> detected.  There are some known gaps which are being
> closed in ZFS, but it is
> simply not the case that UFS is superior in all RAS
> respects to ZFS.

I agree ZFS features are outstanding BUT from my point of view ZFS
has been integrated on Solaris too early, without too much testing.

Just a few examples:
-We lost several zpool with S10U3 because of "spacemap" bug,
and -nothing- was recoverable.  No fsck here :(

-We had tons of kernel panics because of ZFS.
Here a "reboot" must be planned with a couple of weeks in advance
and done only at saturday night ..

-Our 9900V and HP EVAs works really BAD with ZFS because of large cache.
(echo zfs_nocacheflush/W 1 | mdb -kw) did not solve the problem. Only helped a
bit.

-ZFS performs badly with a lot of small files.
(about 20 times slower that UFS with our millions file rsync procedures)

-ZFS+FC JBOD:  failed hard disk need a reboot :(((((((((
(frankly unbelievable in 2007!)

Anyway we happily use ZFS on our new backup systems (snapshotting with ZFS is
amazing), but to tell you the true we are keeping 2 large zpool in sync on each
system because we fear an other zpool corruption.

Many friends of mine working on big Solaris environments moved to ZFS with
S10U3 and than soon went back with UFS because of the same problems.
Sure, for our home server with cheap ata drives ZFS is unbeatable and free :)

Gino