> > -We had tons of kernel panics because of ZFS.
> > Here a "reboot" must be planned with a couple of
> weeks in advance
> > and done only at saturday night ..
> >
> Well, I'm sorry, but if your datacenter runs into
> problems when a single
> server isn't available, you probably have much worse
> problems. ZFS is a
> file system. It's not a substitute for hardware
> trouble or a misplanned
> infrastructure. What would you do if you had the fsck
> you mentioned
> earlier? Or with another file system like UFS, ext3,
> whatever? Boot a
> system into single user mode and fsck several
> terabytes, after planning
> it a couple of weeks in advance?

For example we have a couple of apps using 80-290GB RAM. Some thousands users.
We use Solaris+Sparc+High end storage because we can't afford downtimes.
We can deal with a failed file system. A reboot during the day would cost a lot
of money.
The real problem is that ZFS should stop to force kernel panics.

> > -Our 9900V and HP EVAs works really BAD with ZFS
> because of large cache.
> > (echo zfs_nocacheflush/W 1 | mdb -kw) did not solve
> the problem. Only helped a bit.
> >

> Use JBODs. Or tell the cache controllers to ignore
> the flushing
> requests. Should be possible, even the $10k low-cost
> StorageTek arrays
> support this.

Unfortunately HP EVA can't do it.
About the 9900V, it is really fast (64GB cache helps a lot) end reliable. 100%
uptime in years.
We'll never touch it to solve a ZFS problem.
We started using JBOD (12x16drive shelfs) with ZFS but speed and reliability
(today) is not comparable to HDS+UFS.

> > -ZFS performs badly with a lot of small files.
> > (about 20 times slower that UFS with our millions
> file rsync procedures)
> >

> I have large Sybase database servers and file servers
> with billions of
> inodes running using ZFSv3. They are attached to
> X4600 boxes running
> Solaris 10 U3, 2x 4 GBit/s dual FibreChannel, using
> dumb and cheap
> Infortrend FC JBODs (2 GBit/s) as storage shelves.

Are you using FATA drives?

> During all my
> benchmarks (both on the command line and within
> applications) show that
> the FibreChannel is the bottleneck, even with random
> read. ZFS doesn't
> do this out of the box, but a bit of tuning helped a
> lot.

You found and other good point.
I think that with ZFS and JBOD, FC links will be soon the bottleneck.
What tuning have you done?

> > -ZFS+FC JBOD:  failed hard disk need a reboot
> :(((((((((
> > (frankly unbelievable in 2007!)
> >
> No. Read the thread carefully. It was mentioned that
> you don't have to
> reboot the server, all you need to do is pull the
> hard disk. Shouldn't
> be a problem, except if you don't want to replace the
> faulty one anyway.

It is a problem if your apps hangs waiting for you to power down/pull out the
drive!
Almost in a time=money environment :)

> No other manual operations will be necessary, except
> for the final "zfs
> replace". You could also try cfgadm to get rid of ZFS
> pool problems,
> perhaps it works - I'm not sure about this, because I
> had the idea
> *after* I solved that problem, but I'll give it a try
> someday.
> > Anyway we happily use ZFS on our new backup systems
> (snapshotting with ZFS is amazing), but to tell you
> the true we are keeping 2 large zpool in sync on each
> system because we fear an other zpool corruption.
> >

> May I ask how you accomplish that?

During the day we sync pool1 with pool2, then we °umount pool2" during sheduled
backup operations at night.

> And why are you doing this? You should replicate your
> zpool to another
> host, instead of mirroring locally. Where's your
> redundancy in that?

We have 4 backup hosts. Soon we'll move to 10G network and we'll replicate on
different hosts, as you pointed out.

Gino