On 9/20/07, Paul B. Henson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Again though, that would imply two different storage locations visible to
> the clients? I'd really rather avoid that. For example, with our current
> Samba implementation, a user can just connect to
> '\\files.csupomona.edu\<username>' to access their home directory or
> '\\files.csupomona.edu\<groupname>' to access a shared group directory.
> They don't need to worry on which physical server it resides or determine
> what server name to connect to.

MS-DFS could be helpful here.  You could have a virtual samba instance
that generates MS-DFS redirects to the appropriate spot.  At one point
in the past I wrote a script (long since lost - at a different job)
that would automatically convert automounter maps into the
appropriately formatted symbolic links used by the Samba MS-DFS
implementation.  It worked quite well for giving one place to
administer the location mapping while providing transparency to the
end-users.

Mike

--
Mike Gerdts