On 9/21/07, Christine Tran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> patch and install tools can't figure out pools yet.  If you have a 1GB
> pool and 10 filesystems on it, du reports each having 1GB, do you have
> 10GB capacity?  The tools can't tell.  Please check the archives, this
> subject has been extensively discussed.

Two responses come immediately to mind...

1) Thanks for protecting stupid/careless people from doing bad things.
2) UNIX has a longstanding tradition of adding a -f flag for cases
when the sysadmin realizes there is additional risk but feels that
appropriate precautions have been taken.

I would really like to ask Sun for a roadmap as to when this is going
to be supported.  Since this is the zfs list (not zones or install
list) and it is OpenSolaris (not Solaris) I guess I should probably
find a more appropriate forum.

So, for now I will use OpenSolaris where I can and wait patiently for
the new installer + snap upgrade basket and wait for it to find its
way into Solaris in about a year or two.  In the meantime, I'll
probably end up putting most zones on a particular competitor's NAS
devices and looking into how well their file system cloning
capabilities play in coordination with iSCSI.

<irony>
Oh, wait!  What if the NAS device runs out of space while I'm
patching?  Better rule out the thin provisioning capabilities of the
HDS storage that Sun sells as well.
</irony>

--
Mike Gerdts