On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Jeff Bonwick wrote:

> I would keep it simple.  Let's call your 250GB disks A, B, C, D,
> and your 500GB disks X and Y.  I'd either make them all mirrors:
>
>    zpool create mypool mirror A B mirror C D mirror X Y
>
> or raidz the little ones and mirror the big ones:
>
>    zpool create mypool raidz A B C D mirror X Y
>
> or, as you mention, get another 500GB disk, Z, and raidz like this:
>
>    zpool create mypool raidz A B C D raidz X Y Z

+1 All excellent solutions

Also consider two pools, one a raidz and the 2nd a 2-way mirror.
That way you can take advantage of the different operational
characteristics of each pool:

zpool create mypool raidz A B C D
zpool create mirpool mirror X Y

> Jeff
>
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 01:06:38PM -0700, Christopher wrote:
>> I'm about to build a fileserver and I think I'm gonna use OpenSolaris and
>> ZFS.
>>
>> I've got a 40GB PATA disk which will be the OS disk, and then I've got
>> 4x250GB SATA + 2x500GB SATA disks. From what you are writing I would think
>> my best option would be to slice the 500GB disks in two 250GB and then make
>> two RAIDz with two 250 disks and one partition from each 500 disk, giving me
>> two RAIDz of 4 slices of 250, equaling to 2 x 750GB RAIDz.
>>
>> How would the performance be with this? I mean, it would probably drop since
>> I would have two raidz slices on one disk.
>>
>>> From what I gather, I would still be able to lose one of the 500 disks (or
>>> 250) and still be able to recover, right?
>>
>> Perhaps I should just get another 500GB disk and run a RAIDz on the 500s and
>> one RAIDz on the 250s?
>>
>> I'm also a bit of a noob when it comes to ZFS (but it looks like it's not
>> that hard to admin) - Would I be able to join the two RAIDz together for one
>> BIG volume altogether? And it will survive one disk failure?
>>
>> /Christopher
>>

>> This message posted from opensolaris.org

Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            Voice: 972.379.2133 Fax: 972.379.2134  Timezone: US CDT
OpenSolaris Governing Board (OGB) Member - Apr 2005 to Mar 2007
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/ogb/ogb_2005-2007/