sliceing say "S0" to be used as root-filesystem would make
ZFS not using the write-buffer on the disks.
This would be a slight performance degrade, but would increate
reliability of the system (since root is mirrored).

Why not living on the edge and booting from ZFS ?
This would nearly eliminate UFS.

Use e.g. the two 500GB Disks for the root-filesystem
on a mirrored pool:

   mirror  X Z   here lives the OS with it's root-Filesystem on ZFS
                 *and* userdata in the same pool

   raidz A B C D or any other layout

or
 User zwo of the 250GB ones:

pool boot-and-userdata-one
   mirror A B   here lives the OS and userdata-one

pool userdata-two
   mirror C D   userdata-two spanning CD - XY
   mirror X Y

Thomas