> Should I bfu to the latest bits to fix this
> problem or do I also need to install b72?

bfu to b72 (or newer) should be OK, iff there really is
a difference with shared library dependencies between
b70 and b72. I'm not sure about b70; but b72 with
just an empty /usr directory in the root filesystem,
used as a mount point for for mounting a zfs /usr
works just fine.

Are you trying to setup a system that boots from a
zfs root filesystem, and has /usr on a separate zfs
filesystem?  What exactly is the panic that you get
when you try to boot with option "-k"?