Would it be easier to ...

1) Change ZFS code to enable a sort of directIO emulation and then run
various tests... or

2) Use Sun's performance team, which have all the experience in the
world when it comes to performing benchmarks on Solaris and Oracle ..
+ a Dtrace master to drill down and see what the difference is between
UFS and UFS/DIO... and where the real win lies.