That explains the problems; however, I am able to get them to run by jumpering
them down to SATA1 which brings me back to my original question. Is there a way
to force sata 1 without cracking the drive case and voiding the warranty? I
only have so many expansion slots, so an 8 port supermicro is about the only
controller card option that I have found. If someone can suggest an 8 port
esata card that works with Solaris, I may give that a try instead - but I was
mainly looking for something along the lines of 'change line x in configuration
file y'

Thanks again,
Eric