Anil Jangity wrote:
> I have pool called "data".
>
> I have zones configured in that pool. The zonepath is: /data/zone1/fs.
> (/data/zone1 itself is not used for anything else, by anyone, and has no
> other data.) There are no datasets being delegated to this zone.
>
> I want to create a snapshot that I would want to make available from
> within the zone. What are the best options?
>
> If I do something like: zfs snapshot data/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> How do I make that snapshot available to the zone?
>
> It seems like I got two options: 1. add dataset set
> name=data/zone1/recover end
>
> Then: zfs send data/[EMAIL PROTECTED] | zfs recv
> data/zone1/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I think this option might work, but using zfs send will just send the
> whole data/zone1 file system which will use more disk space instead of
> just sending snapshots.
>

> 2. I was thinking, maybe I could do a NFS share of
> /data/zone1/.zfs/snapshot to zone1. Then, do a NFS client access to that
> file system.

Hi Anil,
I can't answer your questions directly, but I'd like to
mention some of the things I've learnt while running zones
with zoneroots on a zpool:

- at this point in time, LiveUpgrade doesn't handle zones
   with zoneroot on zfs. It's being worked on. In the meantime,
   put your zoneroot on ufs.

- It's better to do loopback mounts of your zfs so that
   they're visible in the zone, rather than nfs mounts. I've
   been told that this is due to the way that these two fs
   types interact with memory allocation. (Note that I might
   have that reasoning expressed badly - vm isn't my area).

   Here's what it looks like in my zone config file:

   <filesystem special="/export/home/jmcp" directory="/export/home/jmcp"
type="lofs">
     <fsoption name="rw"/>
   </filesystem>

There's handy content here, too:
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide#ZFS_and_Zones

James C. McPherson
--
Senior Kernel Software Engineer, Solaris
Sun Microsystems