On 13-Dec-07, at 1:56 PM, Shawn Joy wrote:

> What are the commands? Everything I see is c1t0d0, c1t1d0.....   no
> slice just the completed disk.

I have used the following HOWTO. (Markup is TWiki, FWIW.)

Device names are for a 2-drive X2100. Other machines may differ, for
example, X4100 drives may be =c3t2d0= and =c3t3d0=.

---++ Partitioning

This is done before installing Solaris 10, or after installing a new
disk to replace a failed mirror disk.
    * Run *format*, choose the correct disk device
    * Enter *fdisk* from menu
    * Delete any diagnostic partition, and existing Solaris partition
    * Create one Solaris2 partition over 100% of the disk
    * Exit *fdisk*; quit *format*

---++ Slice layout

|slice 0| root| 8192M| <-- this is not really large enough :-)
|slice 1| swap| 2048M|
|slice 2| -----||
|slice 3| SVM metadb| 16M|
|slice 4| zfs| 68200M|
|slice 5| SVM metadb| 16M|
|slice 6| -----||
|slice 7| SVM metadb| 16M|

The final slice layout should be saved using =prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/
c1d0s2 >vtoc=

The second (mirror) disk can be forced into the same layout using
=fmthard -s vtoc /dev/rdsk/c2d0s2=
(Replacement drives must be partitioned in exactly the same way, so
it is recommended that a copy of the vtoc be kept in a file.)

GRUB must also be installed on the second disk:
=/sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c2d0s0=

---++ Solaris Volume Manager setup

The root and swap slices will be mirrored using SVM. See:
    * http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/
ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide#UFS.2FSVM
    * http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-9-83605-1

(As of Sol10U2 (June 06), ZFS is not supported for root partition.)

At this point the system has been installed on, and booted from the
first disk, c1d0s0 (as root) and with swap from the same disk. The
following steps set up SVM but don't interfere with currently mounted
partitions. The second disk has already been partitioned identically
to the first, and the data will be copied to the mirror after
=metattach= below. Changing =/etc/vfstab= sets the machine to boot
from the SVM mirror device in future.

    * Create SVM metadata (slice 3) with redundant copies on slices 5
and 7: %BR% =metadb -a -f c1d0s3 c2d0s3 c1d0s5 c2d0s5 c1d0s7 c2d0s7=
    * Create submirrors on first disk (root and swap slices): %BR%
=metainit -f d10 1 1 c1d0s0= %BR% =metainit -f d11 1 1 c1d0s1=
    * Create submirrors on second disk: %BR% =metainit -f d20 1 1
c2d0s0= %BR% =metainit -f d21 1 1 c2d0s1=
    * Create the mirrors: %BR% =metainit d0 -m d10= %BR% =metainit d1
-m d11=
    * Take a backup copy of =/etc/vfstab=
    * Define root slice: =metaroot d0= (this alters the mount device
for / in =/etc/vfstab=, it should now be =/dev/md/dsk/d0=)
    * Edit =/etc/vfstab= (changing device for swap to =/dev/md/dsk/d1=)
    * Reboot to test. If there is a problem, use single user mode and
revert vfstab. Confirm that root and swap devices are now the
mirrored devices with =df= and =swap -l=
    * Attach second halves to mirror: %BR% =metattach d0 d20= %BR%
=metattach d1 d21=

Mirror will now begin to sync; progress can be checked with =metastat
-c=

---+++ Also see

    * [[http://slacksite.com/solaris/disksuite/disksuite.html
recipe]] at slacksite.com

---++ ZFS setup

Slice 4 is set aside for the ZFS pool - the system's active data.

    * Create pool: =zpool create pool mirror c1d0s4 c2d0s4=
    * Create filesystem for home directories: =zfs create pool/home= %
BR% (To make this active, move any existing home directories from =/
home= and into =/pool/home=; then =zfs set mountpoint=/home pool/
home=; log out; and log back in.)
    * Set up regular scrub - Add to =crontab= a line such as: =0 4 1
* * zpool scrub pool=
<verbatim>
bash-3.00# zpool create pool mirror c1d0s4 c2d0s4
bash-3.00# zpool status
   pool: pool
  state: ONLINE
  scrub: none requested
config:

         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         pool        ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
             c1d0s4  ONLINE       0     0     0
             c2d0s4  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
bash-3.00# zfs list
NAME                   USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
pool                  75.5K  65.5G  24.5K  /pool
bash-3.00#
</verbatim>