[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Shawn,
>
> Using slices for ZFS pools is generally not recommended so I think
> we minimized any command examples with slices:
>
> # zpool create tank mirror c1t0d0s0 c1t1d0s0

Cindy,
I think the term "generally not recommended" requires more context.  In
the case
of a small system, particularly one which you would find on a laptop or
desktop,
it is often the case that disks share multiple purposes, beyond ZFS.  I
think the
way we have written this in the best practices wiki is fine, but perhaps
we should
ask the group at large.  Thoughts anyone?

I do like the minimization for the examples, though.  If one were to
actually
read any of the manuals, we clearly talk about how whole disks or slices
are fine.  However, on occasion someone will propagate the news that ZFS
only works with whole disks and we have to correct the confusion afterwards.
 -- richard