> > Now it seems to me that without parity/replication,
> there's not much
> > point in doing the scrubbing, because you could
> just wait for the error
> > to be detected when someone tries to read the data
> for real.  It's
> > only if you can repair such an error (before the
> data is needed) that
> > such scrubbing is useful.
>
> Pretty much

I think I've read (possibly in the 'MAID' descriptions) the contention that at
least some unreadable sectors get there in stages, such that if you catch them
early they will be only difficult to read rather than completely unreadable.
In such a case, scrubbing is worthwhile even without replication, because it
finds the problem early enough that the disk itself (or higher-level mechanisms
if the disk gives up but the higher level is more persistent) will revector the
sector when it finds it difficult (but not impossible) to read.

- bill