On Dec 14, 2007 1:12 AM, can you guess? <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > yes.  far rarer and yet home users still see them.
>
> I'd need to see evidence of that for current hardware.
What would constitute "evidence"?  Do anecdotal tales from home users
qualify?  I have two disks (and one controller!) that generate several
checksum errors per day each.  I've also seen intermittent checksum
fails that go away once all the cables are wiggled.

> Unlikely, since transfers over those connections have been protected by
> 32-bit CRCs since ATA busses went to 33 or 66 MB/sec. (SATA has even stronger
> protection)
The ATA/7 spec specifies a 32-bit CRC (older ones used a 16-bit CRC)
[1].  The serial ata protocol also specifies 32-bit CRCs beneath 8/10b
coding (1.0a p. 159)[2].  That's not much stronger at all.

Will

[1] http://www.t10.org/t13/project/d1532v3r4a-ATA-ATAPI-7.pdf
[2] http://www.ece.umd.edu/courses/enee759h.S2003/references/serialata10a.pdf