Hi,

On Dec 17, 2007 4:18 PM, Roch - PAE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >
>  > The pool holds home directories so small sequential writes to one
>  > large file present one of a few interesting use cases.
>
> Can you be more specific here ?
>
> Do you have a body of application that would do small
> sequential writes; or one in particular ? Another
> interesting info is if we expect those to be allocating
> writes or overwrite (beware that some app, move the old file
> out, then run allocating writes, then unlink the original
> file).

Sorry, I try to be more specific.
The zpool contains home directories that are exported to client machines.
It is hard to predict what exactly users are doing, but one thing users do for
certain is checking out software projects from our subversion server. The
projects typically contain many source code files (thousands) and a
build process
accesses all of them in the worst case. That is what I meant by "many (small)
files like compiling projects" in my previous post. The performance
for this case
is ... hopefully improvable.

Now for sequential writes:
We don't have a specific application issuing sequential writes but I
can think of
at least a few cases where these writes may occur, e.g.
dumps of substantial amounts of measurement data or growing log files
of applications.
In either case these would be mainly allocating writes.

Does this provide the information you're interested in?

Cheers,
  Frank