>I would guess that this is caused by different st_dev values in the new
>filesystem. In such a case, mv copies the files instead of renaming them.

No, it's because they are different filesystems and the data needs to be
copied; zfs doesn't allow data movement between filesystems within a pool.

The code inside "mv" would immediately support such renames as it *first*
checks whether rename works and only then will it try "plan B":

                if (rename(source, target) >= 0)
                        return (0);
                if (errno != EXDEV) {
                        /* fatal errors */
                }
                ... continue with plan B: copy & remove ...

Casper