On 1/15/08, Selim Daoud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> with zfs you can compress data on disk ...that is a grat advantage
> when doing backup to disk
> also, for DSSU you need to multiply number of filesystem (1 fs per
> stu), the advantage of zfs is that you don't need to fix the size
> of the fs upfront  (the space is shared among all the fs)

        But ... NBU (at least version 6.0) attempts to estimate the
size of the backup and make suer there is enough room on the DSSU to
handle it. What happens when the free space reported by ZFS isn't
really the free space ?

        We are using NBU DSSU against both UFS and ZFS (but not
against VxFS) and have not noticed any FS related performance
limitations. The clients and the network are all slower.

--
Paul Kraus