-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of J.P. King
Sent: 08 Şubat 2008 Cuma 10:26
To: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: [zfs-discuss] Real time mirroring

Someone suggested an idea, which the more I think about the less insane it
sounds.  I thought I would ask the assembled masses to see if anyone had
tried anything like this, and how successful they had been.

I'll start with the simplest variant of the solution, but there are
potentially subtleties which could be applied.

Take 3 machines, for the same of argument 2 x4500s and an x4100 as a head
unit.

Export the storage from each of the x4500s by making it an iSCSI target.
Import the storage onto the x4100 making it an iSCSI initiator.

Using ZFS (and I assume this is preferable to Solaris Volume manager)
set up a mirror between the two sets of storage.

Assuming that works, one of the two servers can be moved to a different
site, and you now have real time, cross site mirroring of data.

For added tweaks I believe that I can arrange to have two head units
so that I can do something resembling failover of data, if not necessarily
instantaneously.

The only issue I haven't yet been able to come up with a solution for in
this thought experiment is how to recover quickly from one half of the
mirror going down.  As far as I can tell I need to re-silver the entire
half of the mirror, which could take some time.  Am I missing some clever
trick here?

I'm interested in any input as to why this does or doesn't work, and I'm
especially interested to hear from anyone that has actually done something
like this already.

Cheers,

Julian
--
Julian King
Computer Officer, University of Cambridge, Unix Support