Well, I got it working, but not in a tidy way.  I'm running HA-ZFS here, so I
moved the ZFS pool over to the other node in the cluster.  That had exactly the
same problems however, the iSCSI disks were unavailable.

Then I found an article from November 2006
(http://web.ivy.net/~carton/oneNightOfWork/20061119-carton.html), saying that
the iSCSI initiator won't reconnect until you reboot.  I rebooted one node of
the cluster, then swopped ZFS back over to there and Voila!  Fully working
mirrored storage again.

So I guess it's an iSCSI initiator problem in that it doesn't reconnect
properly to a rebooted target, but it's not a particularly stable solution at
this stage.