Thanks. I guess this makes sense, now that I think about it, since this would
be the same behavior exporting nested ufs filesystems. It just took me by
surprise since I was testing by accessing these on my workstation, and then
when the jobs ran overnight on the server the behavior was different.

If I was using this setup on a larger scale I'd automount one level deeper. I
was just hoping to just have the single mount (which is already automounted as
it is) along with the benefits of the separate filesystems.