On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:58:55 +0100
Justin Vassallo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1) If i create a raidz2 pool on some disks, start to use it, then the
> disks' controllers change. What will happen to my zpool? Will it be
> lost or is there some disk tagging which allows zfs to recognise the
> disks?

Hi Justin,
ZFS makes use of Device IDs (aka "devids") which are unique
to each device, and persistent. Changing the controller should
not change the devid.

You can examine devids using "prtpicl -v" and searching for
the word "devid"

> 2) if i create a raidz2 on 3 HDs, do i have any resilience? If any
> one of those drives fails, do i loose everything? I've got one such
> pool and i'm afraid it's a ticking time bomb.

I don't think you've got enough disks there, I believe
you need another one. Have a look at the ZFS doco (docs.sun.com)
and the ZFS Best Practices Guide (www.solarisinternals.com and
www.genunix.org).

James C. McPherson
--
Senior Kernel Software Engineer, Solaris
Sun Microsystems