Darren J Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Marcus Sundman wrote:
> > Nicolas Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Again.  Not enough.  Some apps (many!) deal with multiple files.
> >
> > So what? Why would every file-snapshot have to be a file that's
> > valid for the application(s) using it? (Certainly zfs snapshots
> > don't provide that property either, nor any other backup-related
> > system I've seen.)
>
> If it isn't how does the user or application know that is safe to use
> that file ?

Unless the files contain some checksum or somesuch then I guess it
doesn't know it's safe. However, that's unavoidable unless the
application can use a transaction-supporting fs api.

> Is it okay to provide a snapshot of a file that is corrupt and will
> cause further more serious data corruption in the application ?

Well, apparently so. That's what zfs snapshots do. That's what all
backup tools do. Sure it would be better to have full transactions in
the fs api, but without that I don't think it's possible to do any
better than "the file might be corrupt or it might not, good luck if
your file format doesn't support corruption-detection".

- Marcus