Constantin Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi Darren,
>
> thank you for the clarification, I didn't know that.
>
>> See the man page for zfs(1) where the -R options for send is discussed.

> Back to Brad's RFS, what would one need to do to send a stream from a
> compressed filesystem to one with a different compression setting, if
> the source file system has the compression attribute set to a specific
> algorithm (i.e. not inherited)?

$ zfs create -o compression=gzip-1 tank/gz1
# put in your data
$ zfs snapshot tank/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
$ zfs create -o compression=gzip-9 tank/gz9
$ zfs send tank/[EMAIL PROTECTED] | zfs recv -d tank/gz9

> Will leaving out -R just create a new, but plain unencrypted fs on the
> receivig side?

Depends on inheritance.

> What if one wants to replicated a whole package of filesystems via
> -R, but change properties on the receiving side before it happens?

If they are all getting the same properties use inheritance if they
aren't then you (by the very nature of what you want to do) need to
precreate them with the appropriate options.

--
Darren J Moffat