On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:59:53PM +0000, A Darren Dunham wrote:
> It's not *bad*, but as far as I'm concerned, it's wasted space.
>
> You have to deal with the pool as a whole as having single-disk
> redundancy for failure modes.  So the fact that one section of it has
> two-disk redundancy doesn't give you anything in failure planning.
>
> And you can't assign filesystems or particular data to that vdev, so the
> added redundancy can't be concentrated anywhere.

Well, one can imagine a situation where two different type of disks have
different failure probabilities such that the same reliability could be
garnered with one using single-parity RAID as with the other using double-
parity RAID. That said, it would be a fairly uncommon scenario.

Adam

--
Adam Leventhal, Fishworks                        http://blogs.sun.com/ahl