On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 1:25 AM, Bob Friesenhahn
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  For obvious reasons (redundancy and throughput), it makes more sense
>  to purchase two 12 port cards.  I see that there is an option to
>  populate more cache RAM.
More RAM always helps ;)

>  I would be interested to know what actual throughput that one card is
>  capable of.  The CDW site says "300MB/s".
It looks like it's more like 600 MB/s.  See this thread on Hardforums:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032222973&postcount=111
for more details.  He's got a 1280ML and 24 disks with 22 in raid 6
and 2 hot spares, getting up to 588 MB/s sustained block read
according to HDTach.

Two other people on that forum (handles Ockie and odditory) have those
cards, and are similarly impressed, but I don't see benchmarks from
them.  In any case, I agree with your suggestion: get two 12-port
cards, or three 8-port cards, and save money and get better
performance anyways.

Will