Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Maurice Volaski wrote:
>
>> 4 drive failures over 5 years. Of course, YMMV, especially if you
>> drive drunk :-)
>>

> Note that there is a difference between drive failure and media data
> loss. In a system which has been running fine for a while, the chance
> of a second drive failing during rebuild may be low, but the chance of
> block-level media failure is not.

I couldn't have said it better myself :-).  The prevailing studies are
clearly showing unrecoverable reads as the most common failure
mode.

> However, computers do not normally run in a vaccum.  Many failures are
> caused by something like a power glitch, temperature cycle, or the
> flap of a butterfly's wings.  Unless your environment is completely
> stable and the devices are not dependent on some of the same things
> (e.g. power supplies, chassis, SATA controller, air conditioning) then
> what caused one device to fail may very well cause another device to
> fail.

Add to this manufacturing vintage.  We do see some vintages which
have higher incidence rates than others.  It is not often practical to get
all the disks in a system to be from different vintages, especially on a
system like the X4500.
 -- richard