I've been trying to figure out how the copies command works and have been
experimenting, but I haven't really seen any results (both with 5 physical
drives I will soon add to my data pool as a 2nd RAIDZ and on a virtual machine
with two RAIDZ in a pool). First: Is data copied across physical devices or
virtual devices in a pool (thus could it work with a single RAIDZ, or would I
need multiple virtual devices in the pool)? I've been trying to add some
redundancy to my personal files in a RAID-Z array so that if two drives go down
my important data will still be safe, but experimentation has led to me seeing
no redundancy for filesystems set with copies=3 before copying dat to them. I
have tried downing two out of 5 drives in a single RAIDZ pool and downing 2/3
drives in one RAIDZ in a dual-RAIDZ pool.